Sunday, May 12, 2019

Book Review [A BETTER TEN COMMANDMENTS BY James Miller]


"As we progress, I believe a science of morality will emerge and grow." 

A Better Ten Commandments: A Guide to Living Life With, and On Purpose by James Miller is a really good read. From the choice of chapter titles to the wonderful Epilogue, Miller challenges the deepest thought pattern of most Americans and religious people. I usually whisk through short books, but I found myself reading slower to savor every word. Off the top I can say that this book is genuine. As I was reading it felt like I was in a conversation with a friend exchanging intellectual vibes for us both to remember and grow with. ABTC is written with intelligence, humor and definitely no nonsense. 

"I'm not afraid to have an opinion on the matter, as I don't believe in imaginary friends (insert random god) meting out justice in the here and now or deciding my fate after the death of my brain." 

A very unique feature about this book that I like is the series of quotes at the beginning of each chapter, hence to say I'm not just saying it, but many great thinkers have said it for thousands of years! The richest set of quotes for me came from the chapter Cultivate a Rational Compassion with wise words from Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Gandhi and Maya Angelou.

Each chapter in the book left me with things to remember and share because it is such a reality that people are suffering in this world and sometimes just a kind word of encouragement can make a big difference, and that has nothing to do with religion. For example in the chapter titled Clearing the Path he writes: "You must challenge yourself to grow mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually." How often is this told to you by someone who says they care about you? To be encouraged in this way can open a myriad of opportunities for self-reflection to make your own life better. Miller continues in the chapter Practice Positive Reciprocity with: "We must feed, protect and nurture ourselves and kin before we can assist another, otherwise we'd never survive." This falls right in line with naturopathic principles that I teach my students, heal yourself first, that way you can be a testimony for how naturopathy can help in the healing processes. One last note that also intrigued me came from the chapter Choose Growth, he says: "Say no to all the things that are slowing or preventing the achievement of your goals. Learn to create habits rather than relying on will power." That's self explanatory, just say no!

I also love it when I can see myself in the pages of a book written by a total stranger. It is a confirmation of the affirmation that as divine beings we are all interconnected and stem from the same source of energy that sustains the universe. 

I highly recommend this book, it is well written, witty and full of universal truths that anyone with and an open mind and open heart to be the best version of themselves can grow with. I am glad I received a copy of this book in my book review PO Box and I give it 5 ankhs. In closing with a Buddha quote from A Better Ten Commandments: "'Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful."



K. Akua Gray
May 12, 2019

Nassau, Bahamas

No comments:

Post a Comment