Saturday, July 2, 2016

Book Review [Ultra-Metabolism by Mark Hyman, M.D.]


It works. It's measurable. It has a lot of great recipes too. It's the Ultra-Metabolism: The Simple Plan for Automatic Weight Loss by Dr. Mark Hyman. Since I work with quite a few clients who want to lose weight or adopt a lifestyle that helps them maintain their weight I'm always looking for a good read on weight management. I realize that since we are all different when it comes to body types, eating lifestyles, movement regimens and time management, it's a good idea to have a wide variety of options for my clients. This book came recommended by another wellness advocate in the community, so I ordered it and let it sit on my shelf for a few months. What prompted me reaching for the book again was that since I came back to the USA from Ghana where I spend half of the year, I noticed that my metabolism had begun to slow down and I started to see a slight increase in my own weight. I decided to see what the book had to offer since my own metabolism needed a boost.

Ultra-Metabolism gives you a complete 360 degree program for weight loss and weight management with emphasis on controlling your appetite, detoxification, reducing your stress, boosting your thyroid health and super charging your metabolism. He opens the program by assisting the reader in changing their thought patterns about weight by dispelling several myths that society has been feeding to the minds of people for a long time. Hyman calls these the 7 Myths That Make You Gain Weight: 1) Don't starve yourself, 2) The truth about calories, 3) The truth about fat, 4) Which carbs to eat, 5) Don't eat like the French, 6) Don't eat like the Sumo Wrestler and 7) Don't believe the government. And since 7 is such a lucky number he then includes The 7 Keys to the New Science of Weight Loss which includes protocols for 1) Controlling your appetite, 2) How stress makes you fat, 3) Inflammation and fat, 4) Preventing oxidative stress, 5) Turning our calories into energy, 6) Fortifying your thyroid and 7) Cleansing yourself of toxic weight.

Hyman rounds out the program with THE ULTRA-METABOLISM PRESCRIPTION (love that). This is the reinforcement and the motivation needed for a successful lifestyle change. Including setting up a healthy kitchen and preparing you to combat the common challenges and pitfalls that you have faced in past weight loss efforts. I like the structure of the book, because each chapter includes a summary and each 7 Keys chapter includes a self assessment that lets you know how you're doing in each category of the new science of weight loss.

It's an easy read and quite a page turner which is rare for a self-help book, however each chapter keeps you wanting to know what's next. He does repeat himself quite a bit for emphasis which can be challenging when you got the point the first time. This is not a book that you can just read and put down. It is a manual that requires some work and organization on your part. Dr. Hyman offers several online resources to help with organizing this lifestyle change and starts you off with a 6 Week Challenge to get you started on working on all the 7 Keys one at a time over the 6 week period. He also guarantees a weight loss of about 11 pounds in the six weeks if you truly follow the program correctly. It works.

An added feature to the book and the program is the array of Ultra-Metabolism recipes. I tried several of them and found favor with Hot Brown Rice Porridge, Peach Quinoa, Avocado and Bean Burrito, Asian Bean Salad, The Cashew Lettuce Wrap (I had to make this one vegan), The Coconut Dal, a very delicious split pea soup, and Baby Bok Choy with Wild Rice (again since I'm vegan I made the proper adjustments to the recipes). I'll be adding these to my regular meal preparations for my family.

I am very happy to recommend this book to all who are ready for a new and proven plan for weight loss and weight management. This book will never go out of style as long as people need assistance with eating for health and wellness. I give this book 4 and half ankhs.


You are also invited to follow me on Goodreads.



K. Akua Gray
Houston, TX
July 2, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment