Saturday, May 23, 2020

BOOK REVIEW [An Ode... by F. Renee Hamilton]


Poetry published in the 21st century has pretty high standards to live up to, and unless a poet has a specific audience to market to, then most poetry books are simply personal accomplishments for the author. I received a copy of An Ode... by F. Renee Hamilton for my honest review. Heartbreak, bad relationship and unfulfilled desires have been themes in poetry for centuries, so to read a poetry book about failed love relationships doesn’t stimulate my metaphysical antennas with hope of learning something to grow in life with. 


At the start, An Ode...’s cover is completely boring and speaks to nothing in the book. The best thing about it is the author’s picture on the back, she’s cute. Out of the twenty-three poems, I found one quotable line; yep, just one. “I am a healer... but...When will I find the healer whose purpose is to make me whole.” The poems are the typical woman being the fool in love, giving too much, not getting that call back, giving up the goodies too soon and not appreciating or being appreciated in the relationship. 

I do like the layout where the title of the poem has its own page announcing the poem to follow. Also, it was a quick read. I’m feeling blue, rejected and foolish was the primary theme. If was the author’s intention was for the reader to wallow in self-pity, then the book is perfect. After reading this book, I had to reset my vibration with some Rumi and Shel Silverstein.

Unless you need some company for your misery, I recommend skipping An Ode... 1 ankh.

K. Akua Gray
May 23, 2020
Houston, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment